The Cardiff Mustangs Champions League is a soccer program designed for special needs athletes of all ability levels, to participate in the joy of playing soccer. Cardiff Soccer League is pleased to offer this program in conjunction with US Youth Soccer’s TOPSoccer (The Outreach Program for Soccer). Our Mustang Champions athletes will be coached soccer skills according to their ability and needs, and players will have volunteer partners available to assist and encourage them.
Players will be coached the basic skills of soccer according to their ability, not age, and all activities will be catered specific to the abilities of the players. The idea is to create situations where every player will have the opportunity to shine. The TOPSoccer and Mustangs Champions League operate based on the mission to “bring soccer to players who refuse to let their challenges stop them from playing the sport they love. The emphasis of this program is on development, training, and providing meaningful participation rather than on competition.
TOPSoccer provides affordable opportunities for fitness and building self-esteem. One-on-one assistance is available to all Champions League players. TOPSoccer is an opportunity for the soccer community to come together and make a difference in the lives of all participants.
- Provide local special needs children with the opportunity to play a sport
- Provide an opportunity for Cardiff Mustangs and other local soccer players to interact with kids of different abilities, bringing awareness to them as they are integrated into the community
Being a volunteer is a great opportunity to influence and touch a Mustangs Champion players’ life through support and encouragement. Community service hours are available, but the real gift of volunteering is the opportunity to make a difference through assisting on the pitch or just being a supporter and friend to a fellow player.
“Dedicated” buddies will play with the same Champion player each session. Skill leaders will fill in and assist on a session-by-session basis.
Suggested age: 13 years old and up, although younger players may participate at the discretion of the Mustangs Champions League administrators.
- Want to help and make a difference in the life of another player
- Be reliable and responsible about attending all sessions
- Express support, joy, and laughter in creating fun experiences for their buddies
- Possess basic soccer experience
- Attend a volunteer training (all new volunteers must attend)
- Complete the online volunteer registration form
2020 Schedule of Events
Each session will be one hour long, filled with fun games and activities. Each Champion player will be matched to a “buddy,” and they will play together all season long.
Mandatory Volunteer Training for New Volunteers
To Be Announced
Champion Sessions – 2020 Season
All sessions will be held from 3:00-4:00 pm on Sundays unless otherwise indicated:
- Online registration (See link below)
- A 9-week commitment with limited absences. Your Champions look forward to seeing you!
- Attend Volunteer Training (new volunteers only) – date and time to be announced.
- A Champions Buddy T-shirt is required be worn at every session. T-shirts can be purchased for $10 and will available at the volunteer meeting. Payment can be made by check or money order, made out to Cardiff Soccer League. Returning volunteers may wear their T-shirt from last year. Please indicate on your online registration if you will be purchasing a T-shirt and what size you will need.
Aidan Cohen is a senior at San Dieguito Academy. He has been working with special needs children for 6 years now and loves it. He has played with Cardiff soccer for 10 years. This is his fourth year in the Champions League.Ben Fraser is a junior at San Dieguito Academy and has been involved in Champions League for 3 years. He has played soccer his whole life and has a great passion for the game. He is looking forwarding to sharing his love of the game with all of the Champions this season.Sam Milani is a junior at Canyon Crest Academy. He has been a part of Champions League since he was a freshman. Sam has been playing soccer for 8 years, currently playing for SD Surf & his high school. Working with kids with special needs is very dear to Sam, since he has an older brother with special needs.
For more information about the CalSouth Top Soccer Program: