The Cardiff Mustangs Champions League is a soccer program designed for special needs athletes AGES 5-18, of all ability levels, to participate in the joy of playing soccer. Cardiff Soccer League is pleased to offer this program in conjunction with US Youth Soccer’s TOPSoccer (The Outreach Program for Soccer). Our Mustang Champions athletes will be coached soccer skills according to their ability and needs, and players will have volunteer partners available to assist and encourage them.
Players will be coached the basic skills of soccer according to their ability, not age, and all activities will be catered specific to the abilities of the players. The idea is to create situations where every player will have the opportunity to shine. The TOPSoccer and Mustangs Champions League operate based on the mission to “bring soccer to players who refuse to let their challenges stop them from playing the sport they love. The emphasis of this program is on development, training, and providing meaningful participation rather than on competition.
TOPSoccer provides affordable opportunities for fitness and building self-esteem. One-on-one assistance is available to all Champions League players. TOPSoccer is an opportunity for the soccer community to come together and make a difference in the lives of all participants.
- Provide local special needs children with the opportunity to play a sport
- Provide an opportunity for Cardiff Mustangs and other local soccer players to interact with kids of different abilities, bringing awareness to them as they are integrated into the community
Being a volunteer is a great opportunity to influence and touch a Mustangs Champion players’ life through support and encouragement. Community service hours are available, but the real gift of volunteering is the opportunity to make a difference through assisting on the pitch or just being a supporter and friend to a fellow player.
“Dedicated” buddies will play with the same Champion player each session. “Floater” buddies will fill in and assist on a session-by-session basis.
Suggested age: 13 years old and up, although younger players may participate at the discretion of the Mustangs Champions League administrators.
- Want to help and make a difference in the life of another player
- Be reliable and responsible about attending all sessions
- Express support, joy, and laughter in creating fun experiences for their buddies
- Possess basic soccer experience
- Attend the mandatory volunteer training (Dedicated and Floater buddies must all attend)
- Complete the volunteer registration form
2018 Schedule of Events
Each session will be one hour long, filled with fun games and activities. Each Champion player will be matched to a “buddy,” and they will play together all season long.
All sessions will be held from 3:00-4:00pm.
(No session on 1/29 due to semester break)
1888 Montgomery, Cardiff, CA 92007
- Online registration (see link below)
- Registration with Cal South – If you are not a registered Cal South player, you must print and complete a Cal South Form
- A 6-week commitment with limited absences. Your Champions look forward to seeing you!
- Payment – $10 registration fee (include Champions League T-shirt)
- Mandatory Volunteer Training – Location and Time to be Announced
Payment can be made by check or money order, made out to Cardiff Soccer League.
Volunteer’s name and “Champions League” must be written on the memo line of the check.
Please send registration form (if required) and method of payment to:
Cardiff Soccer League, Inc.
2033 San Elijo Ave. P.M.B. #411
Cardiff, California 92007
A.J. Schumann is a senior at San Dieguito Academy. He has been involved with Cardiff Soccer as both a player and a referee since he was not much bigger than a soccer ball. This will be his third year involved in special needs sports.
Sam Fraser is a junior at San Dieguito Academy. He has been playing soccer for 11 years, currently playing for the Mustangs as well as for his high school. He enjoys working with kids with special needs and his experience includes being a counselor at Special Camp and Special Olympics, as well Champions League.
Aidan Cohen is a 15 year old sophomore at San Dieguito Academy. He has been working with special needs children for 5 years now and loves it. He has played with Cardiff soccer for 9 years. This is his third year in the Champions League.
For more information about the CalSouth Top Soccer Program: