Construction of the Encinitas Community Park began in October 2012. The city projects that the park construction will take 22 months, meaning that the soonest we will have new fields is August 2014. Here are the attached plans for the park, which will include one dedicated soccer field and 6 multipurpose fields (2 @ 210 x 300 ft., 1 @180×285, 1@ 180×300, 2 @ 120×150) that overlay the ball fields. Current plans are for the fields to be grass, not turf.
Here is more information that Encinitas City Council member Mark Muir sent to Cardiff Soccer:
• 44 acre park
• Park includes 1 softball field, 2 baseball fields, 1 soccer field, skate park, dog
park, walkways, parking lots, tot lot, landscape buffer trails, and restrooms.
• Project approved by the City Council on July 11, 2012
• What did it take to get here?
o Purchase of land
o Community input O for several years
o Overcome lawsuit threats
o Design work
o Environmental plans in place and approved by the County
o Approved Environmental Impact Report
o And now…construction
• Funding for $19.3 M park costs:
o $7.8 M already available
o $7.0 M redirected from other projects
o $4.5 M financed
• City’s great credit rating of AA+ allows for great borrowing rates estimated at
3 to 4% (city has a 8% dept. ratio – cities Best Management Practices is 15%)
• Lease revenue bonds better than obligation bonds (obligation bonds would
create the need for new taxes to support the borrowing…. lease revenue
bonds use existing revenues)
• City’s reserves still in place
• Economic development project for the city as users of the park will also visit
and support our restaurants, gas stations, shops, etc.
• Projects such as MLB and ECP are updated weekly on the city’s website
• Lights will be discussed by the City Council at a later date (unknown).
• The aquatic facility would be phase 2. Currently there is no timeline or
funding identified for phase 2.