Charismatic Eddie Velez brings a wealth of experience to the Mustang coaching staff with his ability to teach technical skills and the sport of soccer in fun and engaging ways. Coach Eddie is a Tijuana native and is a favorite of Cardiff Mustangs players throughout the club. His knowledge of the game, enthusiasm as a coach, and kindness and wisdom as a parent and person shine through in all he does. As a defender with the Sockers, “El Vaquero” brings excitement to the game whenever he is on the field. Eddie led Team Mexico to the finals of the WMF World Cup in 2015, scoring nine points in six games, and brings the same fire and energy to his Mustangs teams.
More about Coach Velez
- USSF E license
- A former PASL points leader with Revolucion Tijuana, Eddie joined the San Diego Sockers in 2011-12
- Former co-owner/director of operations of Revolucion Tijuana, he is also the Sockers’ Director of Hispanic Community Relations
- In four PASL seasons between Tijuana and San Diego, has compiled 66 goals and 59 assists in 58 games
- Converted from midfield to defender in 2013-14 season and finished third on the Sockers in blocked shots
- Eddie is nicknamed “El Vaquero,” and is married with three children