Cardiff Mustangs is pleased to offer a new futsal program for competitive players born 2008-2013. Our goal is to provide an alternative form of soccer development in a fun and safe environment through the game of Futsal. Players will learn the basic rules and skills of futsal and will have plenty of scrimmage time to fine tune their individual game. Each week, the session will focus on a new component of the game and will be followed up by scrimmages where players can implement concepts covered in the first part of the session.
HISTORY of the Game
Five-a-side soccer originated in Montevideo, Uruguay in 1930 and later became known as Futsal in the U.S. The game aimed to provide a small-sided alternative to the 11v11 format of soccer, as well as the possibility for the sport to be played on different surfaces both indoor and outdoor. The game gained rapid popularity in Uruguay and soon crossed borders not just throughout South America but all around the world.
BENEFITS of Futsal
- Small-Sided play forces players to speed up their decision making and creativity under pressure. (1v1, combination play, 1-touch play, etc…)
- With 5v5 on the field it allows individual players to have more of an impact in games with more touches on the ball per game.
- Low numbers and tight spacing also encourages off-the-ball movement and timing.
- Having no boards forces players to focus on weight and passing accuracy.
- Helps players become comfortable in 1v1 scenarios on both sides of the ball.
- Allows for an alternative form of development to sharpen up your outdoor game.
SCHEDULE: All sessions are held on Sundays, and players attend during the appropriate time-slot for their birth year. Players may register for all 8 sessions or a 5 session option. Single sessions are not available due to the progressive nature of the program.
May 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, & 31st
June 7th, 14th, & 21st
|9am – 10:30am||Boys and Girls 2012 & 2013|
|10:30am – 12pm||Boys and Girls 2011 & 2010|
|12pm – 1:30 pm||Boys and Girls 2009 & 2008|
Location: 1223 Avenida Chelsea Vista CA 92083
- Captain of the U.S. Futsal National Team (2010 – 2015)
- Major League Soccer with Chivas USA (2008)
- Captain of the San Diego Sockers (2009 – present)
- Multi-year MVP of the Major Arena Soccer League
- Captain of Men’s soccer team at San Diego State University (2003-2007)
- Assistant Coach at San Diego State University Men’s Soccer (2015-2017)
- Mexican Indoor National Team (2013 – present)
- San Diego Sockers (2013 – present)
- San Diego State University Aztecs Men’s Soccer (2007 – 2010)
- Captain at SDSU (2010)
- Selected 20th overall by MLS Portland Timbers in 2011 Supplemental Draft